Here’s a simple way to boost your skin health and slow down aging
No matter your age, understanding the benefits of Vitamin E for your skin is essential. Whether or not you realize it, our skin goes through a lot every day, like the temperature shifts between the outdoors, office, home, and our cars. Even UV exposure, diet, lifestyle and our skincare habits affect our skin health. Sometimes the effects are obvious while at other times it’s so subtle we may not notice.
Your skin relies on fundamental micronutrients to maintain optimal health, supporting its natural structures that influence how we age. You may be familiar with Vitamin A’s ability to renew and repair skin and Vitamin C’s protective qualities against environmental damage. But you may have never heard how Vitamin E can maintain beautiful skin!
WHAT IS VITAMIN E?
Vitamin E naturally occurs in our skin. It’s actually an important part of maintaining a glowing, healthy complexion. As an antioxidant, it strengthens our skin’s ability to protect itself against sun damage and pollution. It can even soothe sensitive, irritated skin. As we age, our skin produces less and less of this necessary vitamin, inhibiting its ability to fight against signs of aging.
Don’t start fretting yet! Through diet and topical skincare products, you can replenish your skin’s nutrient levels and aid in combating unwanted skin imperfections.
3 KEY VITAMIN E HEALTH BENEFITS FOR THE SKIN
1) KEEPS YOUR SKIN YOUNG: Vitamin E helps your skin in maintaining a young look and feel with its antioxidant protection. Free radicals from processed foods, toxins in the environment, and sun exposure cause premature aging. These bad guys can cause fine lines, wrinkles, and sun damage to appear and even make it difficult for your skin to overcome acne breakouts.
2) HELPS REDUCE NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF SUN DAMAGE: Helpful in protecting you from sun damage, Vitamin E creates a protective barrier for your skin that effectively delays harm caused by sun exposure. Sunscreen is necessary for full spectrum protection from the sun’s harmful rays, and vitamin E provides additional assistance, amplifying your sunscreens performance.
3) HELPS SOOTHE SKIN ISSUES: Vitamin E, also known as tocopherol, is well known as an anti-inflammatory. If you suffer from skin irritations, like eczema or contact dermatitis, applying topical Vitamin E can provide immediate soothing relief for your discomfort. Including this nutrient in your diet can also contribute to relieving inflammatory skin conditions over time.
VITAMIN E AND SKIN HEALTH THROUGH DIET
To maximize the benefits of this vitamin for your skin, you can mindfully include nutrient-rich sources in your diet. You can refer to this guide from the National Institutes of Health to find the ideal daily intake for you.
There are several foods with exceptional levels of Vitamin E to consider adding to your diet:
- Dark leafy greens like spinach, broccoli, and kale
- Seeds and nuts like almonds, peanuts, and hazelnuts
- Vegetable oils like sunflower and grapeseed oil
- Fruits like mango, avocado, and blackberries
- Oily fish like salmon, cod, and trout
Keep in the mind the quality of your food significantly impacts how nutrient dense they are and organic foods will provide the highest levels of Vitamin E. Always consult with your doctor before making adjustments to your diet and supplementation.
There’s no doubt Vitamin E is essential in maintaining beautiful, healthy skin for years to come, but let’s not forget the other essential vitamins and minerals necessary for maintaining overall health. Healthy mind, body, and skin require a balance of all vital nutrients!
Have you tried including Vitamin E in your beauty routine to improve skin health? Share your experiences in the comments below!