Is persistent dandruff wearing you out? If you’re tired of itchy, dry, flakey scalp, maybe it’s time to try tea tree oil. This rejuvenating essential oil has been used for centuries to assist with an assortment of skin and hair issues, including dandruff. Here is a more in-depth look at tea tree oil’s benefits and uses for dandruff.
Tea tree oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties
1. One of the primary drivers of dandruff is a kind of yeast called malassezia, which can grow out of control on the scalp (Lopez, 2020). Tea tree oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, which can assist in killing off the yeast that causes dandruff.
Tea tree oil can assist with diminishing irritation
2. Dandruff can frequently be joined by a bothersome, irritated scalp. Tea tree oil has mitigating properties that can assist with diminishing redness and irritation, while soothing and itchy scalp.
Tea tree oil can assist with unclogging hair follicles
3. Dandruff can be brought about by clogged hair follicles, which can lead to flaky, dry skin on the scalp. Tea tree oil can assist with unclogging hair follicles and helping to promote the development of new, healthy hair.
Tea tree oil can assist with controlling over-oily hair
4. An overproduction of oil on the scalp can also add to dandruff. Tea tree oil has astringent properties that can help control over-active oiliness on the scalp, keeping your skin balanced and healthy.
What are the best ways to use Tea Tree Oil for dandruff? Here are a few tips
- Blend a couple of drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil or jojoba oil. Rub the combination into your scalp and allow it to sit for 30 minutes or more before washing it out thoroughly.
- Add a couple of drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo or conditioner then use as normal. Or better yet, get yourself a high-quality Tea Tree Shampoo (just make sure it does not contain sulfates or chemicals that could further irritate the scalp). This will assist with killing off any yeast or microorganisms on the scalp and keeping dandruff under control.
- Try a tea tree oil scalp treatment. There are numerous items available that contain tea tree oil and are explicitly formulated for dandruff. Follow directions for best results.
Don’t forget that tea tree oil can cause irritation to sensitive skin. In the event that you have delicate skin, it’s best to dilute the oil with a carrier oil before applying it to your skin. You should also always do a patch test on a small area of skin prior to applying tea tree to your whole scalp.
Tea tree oil can be an incredible asset in the battle against dandruff. Its antifungal and antibacterial properties, capacity to unclog hair follicles and ability to control oil production make it an extraordinary natural choice for keeping your scalp flake-free and comfortable. Try tea tree oil for dandruff and say goodbye to dry, itchy, flakey scalp for good!
Looking for a plant-based tea tree shampoo for dry, itchy, flakey scalp? Try Puriya’s Tea Tree Scalp Clarifying Shampoo & Conditioner
Lopez, A. (2020). Tea tree oil for dandruff: How to use it and its benefits. Medical News Today. Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/tea-tree-oil-for-dandruff